Saturday 19 December 2009

11 Dec 09 Flight in a CAP 10 C from Honington

Having had to cancel last weekend due to a stinking cold, I was really pleased that the weather was flyable today – after all, this would be my first ever dedicated aerobatic lesson. My instructor was Phil O’Donoghue, the CFI of Honington’s flying club and also the owner of a gorgeous CAP 10 C which lives in a nearby HAS to my Shadow microlight, also here at Honington.
Strapping in to the CAP was a surprise; this machine must be designed for some serious ‘G’, as you ratchet yourself in with the harness. We almost didn’t get off though as the battery was virtually flat, but Phil managed to hand prop it - to my great relief!
I taxied us out to the 27 hold, desperately trying to remember the ground handling techniques that Colin had taught me on the Citabria at Halton – we didn’t ground loop or get out of shape so I can’t have done too badly (although the wind was quite light to be fair). Lining up on 09, Phil lifted us off and I quickly took control, heading for some clearish. skies to the south of the field. At 2500 feet I set the throttle and Phil demonstrated a loop. Dive wings level to 125 knots then pull back at about 3 G, look left over the wing and ease stick pressure when we’re upside down, pulling hard again to end up in a shallow dive – big grin time… how much fun is looping??!!!
So, my turn – I dive us wings level to 125 knots, pull firmly back on the stick and - over we go. Great fun… so we did lots more! Phil also showed me what happens when you pull back too firmly – pre-stall buffet, easily cured by gently easing back pressure on the stick.
Next up was ‘ballistic rolling’ which is basically a 30 degree pull up from a dive and then full aileron deflection left or right. Again, great fun; the CAP rolls beautifully and I’m chortling aloud in sheer happiness at the novel sensation! After I perform a few rolls (which are ok but not great!) Phil’s asking how I feel and to be honest I’m just starting to feel the first twinge of queasiness so decide to call it a day. I’ve had a great introduction and am happy to go and try these manoeuvres in the Nipper …
We head back to Honington joining right base for 09 and I manage a reasonable landing, in a taildragger, on tarmac so I’m well pleased! Phil takes control as we slow down and taxies back far quicker than I would dare! Shutting down at the HAS I undo the ratchet and step out of the harness. What a great flight – thanks Phil, I know we’ll do it again fairly soon, but next stop, my first solo aerobatic flight – in the Nipper…






No comments:

Post a Comment