Saturday 15 May 2010

10 - 14 May - Spinning in the Citabria and ASK 13 Glider


Wow,
what a brilliant week I've had! I've only just returned from gliding at Halton near Aylesbury where I was taught to solo standard in the ASK 21 glider, I then moved on to the older but rather nicer flying ASK 13. Unlike the K21, the K13 will spin...

Flying the K13 glider with instructor Padge was great fun, although his spin entry technique surprised me at first, it put a huge grin on my face too!
Basically we would enter a gentle bank then ease back on the stick to the stall. Once stalled he applied full pro-spin rudder, full into turn aileron and full up elevator. With this input the k13 flicks on its back and enters a spin, easily recovered with the standard spin recovery technique. Massive fun!
The following day in very lumpy conditions I was signed off solo following a flight with instructor and friend Colin McInnes (there's not much that he isn't qualified to do!) and span to my hearts content on two consecutive flights. Here's a short video.



I also had 2 flights in the Citabria on Tuesday evening when gliding was finished; first with Col , just to get back in the tailwheel groove and check my spin recovery was still on the ball. Then, after a great hour with Col, I put good friend flatty in the back and we headed off for him to have a bit of hands on and for me to take him on his first ever spinning flight. Beautiful conditions with few clouds and great visibilty meant that climbing to 5000' was no problem at all. I'll let the video below show you how we got on :-)


All-in-all, a great weeks flying, in good company - my PFL's should be rather better too!

Here I am ready for solo in the K21 glider


and flying the Grob 109 motor glider


- didn't aero or spin these (the K21 doesn't spin and the Grob 109 is apparently lethal if spun!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment