Saturday 1 May 2010

1st May 10 - Excellent fun trying some new manoeuvres

Well, I had planned to fly to the Popham microlight trade fair in my Shadow last night, check out the show this morning and head back this afternoon. Unfortunately the forecast didn't look promising and I wasn't willing to take the chance of getting stuck a long way from home on a Bank Holiday weekend so I decided to give it a miss.

Anyway, as luck would have it, the weather at Marham was pretty damned good today. My partner in G-AVKI, Adam, said he was taking her up, so I thought I'd join him. We met up early in the afternoon at the fuel bowser and I'd arrived just in time to take her straight off his hands - perfect!
I taxied down 19, pulled off to the hold and completed my pre take-off checks, and then watched the gliding club chipmunk make a bouncy landing which he wisely decided to go-around from. Finally lining up on 01, I opened the taps and headed skywards. Well, it was certainly thermic, I got bounced all over the sky up to about 3000', although things smoothed out from there.
Thermalling gliders meant I couldn't practice aero's in the overhead so I headed for a blue patch of sky 2 miles to the west. After the obligatory HASELL check, I did a quick loop to get my eye in, and then had my first attempt at a reverse half cuban, which is a roll, from which you pull a loop once you're upside down. It didn't go badly at all, but I could have done with a line feature to check as I kept coming out all 'skew wiff'. It was exactly the same story with the standard half cuban (pull a loop and then roll off the top). Outstanding fun though!.

I did this for a while and then thought I'd have another go at a stall turn... Oh dear! I don't know what I did wrong, but it all got horribly out of shape, so I did the 'unusual positions' recovery; chop the throttle, lock the stick and rudder and let things sort themselves out.

I landed after 45 mins with a huge grin on my face! Time was on my side, so after a sit down and drink I had another go. This time though there was more cloud about, so my manoeuvres were done in any gap I could find! This was a great 'chuck-about' flight; loops, rolls, chandelles, half cubans and reverse half cubans, as well as yanking and banking through the cloud valleys. Just brilliant! I did my usual side-slipping power on descent to land. Amazingly this flight was just 30 minutes, but it felt like longer, what a blast!

It looks like AVKI's engine problems have been well and truly put to bed and I now have real confidence in the machine. That, combined with warmer weather and longer days means that I really feel I'm making progress.
I've no doubt that to the trained eye my manoeuvres look ragged and poorly co-ordinated, but what the hell - I don't think I've ever had so much fun in an aeroplane! Roll on the next time (groan...).

I'll try to sort out my camera mount SOON(!) so I can take some footage; in the meantime, here's a picture of AVKI all wrapped up after 4 flights today.
The organisation that had been in our hangar has moved out, so for the moment, we're all on our own with loads of space - very nice it feels too.


Here are some diagrams of the half cuban 8 and reverse half cuban 8 taken from RD Campbell and B Tempest's excellent book - Basic Aerobatics.



No comments:

Post a Comment