Saturday 22 May 2010

21st May - First spins in the Nipper and a really nice flight

Had a really good flight today, although KI was a pig to start! I took off on 01, just after Cessna 150 G-JAGS and climbed into the overhead. Following all my spin practice last week, I thought today was an ideal opportunity to spin the Nipper - I can't imagine I'll ever be more spin-current than I am now. After climbing to 6000', (allowing an extra 1000' for the unknown), I applied carb heat, slowly closed the throttle and did some practice stalls. Well, I just couldn't stall the Nipper! With the stall warner blaring away and about 30mph IAS, all that happened was a gentle nod and mush. The slightest check forward of the stick had me flying instantly, so with that in mind, I felt ready to try a spin. Throttle back, enter the stall (well, sort of!) full right rudder and she tucked in nicely. unfortunately (or fortunately depending on your point of view), KI would only do 1/2 a spin before pulling out, even before application of opposite rudder - how begnign is that! Back up to 6000' and I tried a spin to the left with the same result. Not as thrilling as I'd expected and not a patch on the Citabria, but fun nevertheless. After that I had a great chuck about with the usual loops, rolls, chandelles etc etc. Total flight time was 50 minutes, partly because I had to follow G-JAGS in and JAGS was flying massive 'GA-type' circuits. A little surprising really as it was being flown by a couple of Tornado pilots. Mind you, I expect they get all the excitement they need from the day job! Next week KI will be over at Honington, I have the week off and my mission will be to nail the stall turn, something that has eluded me on my few attempts so far...

No comments:

Post a Comment